Employment Law FAQs

Employees have many questions about their rights in the workplace. At Westrup & Associates, we strive to help every client understand their rights. With our main office in Long Beach, we have decades of experience representing employees in Southern California file claims against their employers. We also handle class action claims throughout the state.

Contact us today to get your specific questions answered by our experienced lawyers.

Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions about employment law in California.

Employment Law FAQs

Am I entitled to overtime pay if I work overtime, even if it was unauthorized? Yes. Employers are required to pay overtime regardless of whether it was authorized.

What can I do if I am not paid overtime wages? You can file a wage claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement or you can file a lawsuit against your employer to try to recover the unpaid wages. In either case, consulting an attorney is the best initial step to take.

Can my employer use my tips to count toward my minimum wage? No. Employers must pay you the minimum wage stated under California law.

When should rest periods be given during a work day? Nonexempt employees are required to receive rest periods based on the total hours worked daily at the rate of 10 minutes of rest time for every four hours worked.

What can I do if my employer misclassified me as an independent contractor? You can file a wage claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, or file an action to recover lost overtime premiums and other related compensation.

Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Us Today.

Our employment lawyers have in-depth knowledge of state and federal laws and how they apply to your specific situation. We will answer all your questions and guide you through the legal process. You can trust our advice - we have more than 40 years of experience navigating the complex issues involved in employment disputes.

Contact us online or call us at 877-258-2934 to schedule a free consultation to start discussing your claim.