FMLA Claims

Many employees get confused about their rights when it comes to taking leave to care for their children or a sick family member. This is understandable since there are three different laws that provide protections for employees in California.

Our attorneys at Westrup & Associates in Long Beach have more than 40 years of experience helping employees in California understand their rights and what action they can take when those rights have been violated.

Family And Medical Leave In California

Under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), employees are allowed to take up 12 weeks of unpaid leave during a 12-month period to take care of themselves or a family member who is ill or their children. CFRA is the state version of FMLA and offers protection to same-sex domestic partners, which FMLA does not.

In addition to FMLA, certain employees in California are covered under the Paid Family Leave (PFL) act. This provides paid benefits for up to six weeks for employees who suffer wage loss when taking FMLA and CFRA to take care of an ill family member or child. Employees must be paying into the State Disability Insurance program in order to be eligible to receive PFL benefits.

How We Can Help After An FMLA Claim Violation

You have the right to take family and medical leave, and state and federal laws provide you the protection you need during these difficult times. Some employers may violate your rights by:

  • Refusing to grant your leave
  • Reassigning your job duties upon return
  • Retaliating against you by demoting or firing you

You can take legal action against your employer if it has violated your rights. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses.

Our lawyers understand your frustration and will guide you through the legal process so you know what to expect. You will receive honest and straightforward advice about your case. We know how difficult it is to report violations against your employer. However, taking action now can help you get the compensation you deserve and stop mistreatment in the workplace.

For A Free Consultation, Contact Our Office

We will discuss your specific issues and claim in a safe and confidential environment. Call us at 877-258-2934 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.